At the beginning of World War II, most of the Jewish population of Nemyriv remained under German occupation, as the German army was rapidly advancing, and the Soviet authorities did not carry out a targeted evacuation of the Jewish population. Nemyriv ended up in the German zone of occupation by the Reichskommissariat of Ukraine, unlike most of the Vinnitsa Region, which became part of Transnistria, which lasted from July 1941 to March 1944.
The main pillar of the forming German occupation administration in Nemyriv was the Einsatzkommando of the 5th SS Einsatzgruppe "C", which provided the final solution to the Jewish question, by identifying and registering the Jewish population for their subsequent mass extermination.
From the very beginning, the Nazis forced the Jews to work in German military units. Within a month, three side streets were fenced off and a ghetto created.
For three days valuable items in the amount of 100 thousand rubles were seized. In September of 1941 all 3,460 of the disabled Jewish population of Nemyriv were taken away, divided into two groups and shot in 0.5 kilometers from Nemyriv, in the pit of the former brickyard (in two graves).
On the 7th of November in 1941, a special fascist detachment came to Nemyriv, surrounded Nemyriv and rounded up all the Jewish population. The best qualified specialists were chosen from among them, and the rest - 2860 people - were taken to the place mentioned above and shot within a day.
On November 24, 1941, the Nazis, having surrounded the ghetto with large forces in advance, took more than 8,400 people, the elderly, women and children, out of the town to the area of the claynischa and shot them.
In May 1942, in Nemyriv, the German fascist invaders brought from the Romanian territory (on the right side of the Southern Bug River) 1000 people of the Jewish population, who were also shot. In addition, they shot 127 prisoners who were exhausted and could not work.
On June 26 or 27, 1942, Jews who had survived the massacre were forced to enter the local synagogue, where the Nazis shot about 1500 of them and sent some of them to a labor camp.
On May 8, 1943, the Nazis murdered the last 250 inmates of the camp, leaving only 360 of Nemyriv's Jewish skilled laborers to be shot in the summer of 1943.
According to the research of mass graves in Nemyriv (commission survey numbers UA01320501 - July 29, 1997, UA01320502 - July 29, 1997, UA01320503 - July 30, 1997, UA01320504 - July 30, 1997) the JPCU came to the following conclusion: "There are four common graves in Nemyriv (Vinnitsa region). None of them are guarded, but all are marked with plaques mentioning the Holocaust. The Nazis murdered residents of the Nemyriv ghetto between 1942 and 1944. Individual tours are organized, private visitors come there, and from time to time local residents visit. Authorities sometimes clean some graves and work on preserving tombstones. At one of the graves north of Nemyriv, near the quarry, local Jews worked every year between 1950 and 1980 to restore the stones present at the site. None of the sites have been vandalized, but the walls or fences do not protect them" (Gruber, Samuel D., "Jewish Cemeteries, Synagogues, and Mass Grave Sites in Ukraine" (2005). Full list of publications from School of Architecture. Paper 94. http://surface.syr.edu/arc/94).
The virtual absence of information about the existence of a Jewish cemetery in Nemyriv, created between 1941-1944, leads to the loss of its special historical significance in the development of Jewry, as well as its public value as a cultural, historical, and educational resource.